Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Watchiman

This week has been a very interesting week. It didn't feel like we had too much success but looking back, 2 of our investigators showed up to church which is awesome considering how lazy everyone is, especially on a Sunday morning. 
A few things about Honduras that I have noticed that I want to share. These are cultural things and I only notice them because they are different. The first is that everyone wears pants as opposed to shorts. No matter how hot it gets, its either jeans or sweats, there is no in between. If I were them I would just cut my pants into shorts, if that's all I had, but they must like being hot because I have yet to see someone walking with shorts on, and believe me, I'm really looking (dad quote). the second thing I have noticed is that not everyone notices when there is a gun pointed at them. I say this because outside of every pasaje or street there is a watch man or as they call it a ´watchiman´. Usually they are wearing a uniform and they all have some type of weapon, either a gun or a machete. They are pretty popular within their neighborhood because they let everyone in and out. So people stop to talk and they have a gun pointed right at them as they are talking and niether the watchiman or the person is aware. When we talk to the watchimans they look at me like Im wierd because I always try to dodge the barrel of their guns!
As I am learning more Spanish, I get more comfortable with messing up, but listening also.  Still, there are certain people I really cant understand at all because of slang and their accents. One lady asked a question and she said something about Joseph Smith so I said 'Si!' My companion took over at that point and later he told me that she asked if he is our God..oops. But she ended up coming to church so it worked out ok. I am also having a hard time with using the tone of my voice to ask questions in lessons. In spanish, you can change a statement to a question just by changing your tone. I havent figured that out quite yet so I have to keep working on that.
This week we ate at a member's house Wednesdayoafternoon like we always do. we eat there every Wednesday and we had some weird tasting juice. This is pretty normal considering all the weird tasting juice in Honduras. We finished the meal and thanked her. as we walked away elder Merlos said in the trash he saw the wrapper and that the juice she made was tea. I was, and still am so upset! Shes a member of the church and she knows we are missionaries! why would she give us tea?? As I thought more about this, I got more upset and I realized that part of this culture is being a little lazy and not paying attention to detail. But I also realized that we are always being tempted and tried. Even Jesus was tempted and tried, and he was perfect. I am thankful for His example and the people  in my life who have been an example. I love you all so much and I miss you more each week!!

Love

Elder Dowell

No comments:

Post a Comment