Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Little by little

This week has been better than past weeks.. I am learning more Spanish little by little. This week I was able to baptize my first person ever! Her name is Meli Velasquez. I think I have talked about her before but she has had a very hard life. She is divorced, one of her sons was killed by the cartel, and she lives with 3 of her sons who are lazy and she does all of their cooking and cleaning. They are around 30 I think. She has a very strong testimony of the church.
We found her at a pulperia or a little street store. She came up to us and started talking about how dirty Honduras is. She is a little bit crazy. Our lessons would go over about 30 minutes more than usual every time because we could stop her from telling stories and ranting. She is very humble and is a great example to me.
 




 
This past week we were searching for her and we couldn't find her. We went to her house, the house she works at, and at her friends house. when we got to her friends house, we saw her inside, but when the owner asked if she wanted to talk to us she shook her head. We were sure we had lost her as an investigator. We let a few days pass. at 8:30 on Friday night, the night before her baptism, we had just finished a lesson near her house. I had the feeling we should go see if she was home, even though we had scheduled an appointment with a less active member. We rescheduled with the less active member and walked to Meli's house instead. It was like clockwork. I think the spirit told us to go there because we caught her in the street walking back from work. She explained to us that she wasn't at her house because she had been avoiding her son that she is fighting with and she said that she didn't want to talk to us before because she was very emotional. Luckily, she was still excited for her baptism. she has a very strong testimony of the church and I was so thankful to have the opportunity to baptize her. 
 
 
This morning we took a long hike to the Coca Cola mountains. The mountains are so green but almost like a rainforest. Super hot and humid and bugs EVERYWHERE. 
 
 
This place is growing on me but still has many customs that I am not used to. I think it is part of the culture to be rude. But it is nice to find the people that are willing to help us as missionaries. 
Have a great week everyone! I miss family and football but this week made it feel like it is worth it.
Love

Elder Dowell

No comments:

Post a Comment