Monday, April 4, 2016

Baptisms on the way!

Dear Family and friends,

I have nothing that can top Marshall's call to South Carolina!!! I am sad that I couldn't be there to support, but I am more happy that he will be serving the Lord where he has been called!! I am filled with pride and so excited to know that he has made this decision. Marshall, if I can give you some advice, I always remember what Elder Busby told me.. The mission is the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. There is no truer statement than that. You will have good times and bad, just remember that Jesus Christ is with you through them all. I am so grateful for your example to me and that you are so willing to go wherever you are called. I know you will be a great missionary! 







This week was a little bit slower. We went to many of our investigators houses but many didn't remember our visits and didn't seem to feel too bad about it. What frustrates me the most I think is not that they forget.. because we can always reschedule a meeting. But when we gotta go to their house and its so hot and they act like they really don't want to talk to us, I feel heartbroken. Its like having a giant delicious cake and wanting to share it with everyone.. but nobody wants to try your cake because their friends told them that it sucked.. so they wont even try to listen to us! well, that's the way it feels sometimes. There are other times where are just so humbling and awesome! Those are the times that are worth it. This week one of those humbling experiences was with one of our investigators. She is an older lady probably in her 50s and has been meeting with us for a few weeks. This week we explained to her of the Plan of Salvation. As we taught she opened up to us by telling us about her son that was killed about 10 months ago. We taught her about temples and baptisms for the dead. The spirit was so strong as it testified to her of what we were saying, and she was brought to tears. When she was crying I thought of all of my experience with baptisms for the dead and going to the temple and I was so so thankful for the temple and the eternal perspective and blessings that it gives us. 

We have also been preparing another sister for baptism this Saturday! She is about 60 and doesn't know how to read.. but she is excited for baptism as she has grown her testimony in the restored gospel. She likes to joke around with us. 

As for a much less spiritual experience, we went to visit a less active member because she told us that part of her family weren't members, so we walked to her house in the horrible heat. We sang a hymn and prayed and three drunk dudes came out and sat on the ground where we were teaching. I think they were friends or maybe cousins of those who we were teaching. They started to get really loud and annoying. I was trying not to make eye contact with them so they wouldn't talk but it was helpless. Within moments they were criticizing us and I just had to smile. I have seen it before, but Elder Dipko wanted to try and teach them as they said, "the Book of Mormon is not true" and  "you guys worship Joseph Smith as a God". I told Elder Dipko that we should leave so we shook their hands and left.. 

General conference was also one of the main highlights of this week. I am not just saying this because I am a missionary.. well maybe.. but I LOVE GENERAL CONFERENCE!! Before I really wouldn't get much out of it, but being able to testify of living prophets every day has made my appreciation grow for this restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I know Thomas S. Monson is a special and chosen servant of the Lord who has all of the priesthood keys to bind in Heaven what is bound on earth. Jesus talks to him! and he talks to us. I love and miss you all so much. Marshy, words cannot explain how proud I am of you and what you are doing. You are an amazing example to me!! 

Do you ever meet people who know alot about the bible?  
Everyone thinks they know a lot about the bible! ha ha and they have many scriptures memorized which is good.. But when people try to preach to us its hard to listen because I feel like we should be the ones talking.. but there are a lot of people that just want to change our minds and don't really want to listen.

Have you ever felt that someone was prepared for you?  What made you feel that way?
I sometimes feel like no and others yes. I always have faith that there is someone prepared just for me.. but other times it is discouraging when it feels like nobody is progressing. I feel with the investigators how I imagine Heavenly Father feels with me!

Is it still so hot?  
Yes. i don't even know why I bother showering.. I am sweating by the time I am dressed again.

How are you helping this new elder to adjust to his new life in Honduras?  Has he seen anything crazy yet?
That experience with the drunk guys was a little eye opening. He has gotten a little discouraged this week because he is wearing out of the MTC phase which is "the gospel is amazing and everyone wants it".. He has had a little taste of people who don't want to listen to us and so I have been trying to help him keep having faith in finding people and also helping him improve his Spanish. He is really good and a good learner too which is good. He is a humble guy which is a nice change! haha

I Love all of you guys! Have a great week this week! Congrats Marshy!!!!!! SC doesn't know whats coming!!
Love,

Elder Dowell

No comments:

Post a Comment