Monday, March 28, 2016

Semana Santa!

Family and friends,
This week was different than normal because it was a week where everyone in latin america has a vacation week. It is called Semana Santa! That means Holy week in spanish. Of course, it is called that because this was Easter weekend! 
Everyone and there mother takes a trip to the local river or beach to go swimming and spend time with family. It was super hot, so even the people with darker skin looked a little burnt!
Although this was a week for all to remember the Savior, we had a few experiences that made me reflect on my own faith and how I remember the Savior. 


Elementary School in Honduras

The first was on Wednesday, we visited one of our investigators who has been having some troubles within their family. About half way through the lesson we hear some guy yelling, so we poke our heads outside to find an older crazy guy waving around his machete and swearing at his cousin who he was fighting with. He was yelling super loud about 2 houses down and was threatening to machete her face! I wished for a moment that I didn't know Spanish so that I couldn't understand the bad things he was saying to her.. but we just stayed in the house for a little bit until the situation calmed down and everyone went back to their house.

Many of the main investigators that we have been visiting were traveling this week, so we had the chance.. or many chances.. to knock doors this week! There were a few degrading experiences, but always in good fun! haha one lady, as we were explaining about prophets, couldnt help but laughing at us. I felt like it wasnt worth it to keep talking if she was just going to laugh at us, but we finished what we had to say and left. To say the least, I dont think she will call us back..haha

Another experience that we had was a little more helpful, as the lady told us straight up that she didnt like our church. When we asked her why, she said that she didnt like that we were representing Joseph Smith and teaching people that they should worship him. I was a little butt hurt, and told her to please not say those things if she has never visited the church or with the missionaries. I was thankful for my testimony, and I told her that there is no other way to enter into the kingdom of God other than through the Savior Jesus Christ. That gained her respect more, although she still didn't want to hear what we had to say.



It was a great week to teach and testify of the Savior. I know that He lives and that He loves us. I have felt His love for me, and for the people that we teach. I dream of the day that I can see His face, although I will never feel worthy to stand in His presence, as he Himself has said, He is the light and the life of the world, and I know it is true. I know He paid for my sins and he payed for all those who have lived, are living, and will live in this world. He is my example, and the example of all of us. I love Him. 


This Semana Santa, I have felt like I was able to walk in His shoes a little bit. Being rejected many times, standing in the heat, having people preach to us when we should be teaching them the truth. I am thankful for all that Jesus has done for me.


Elder Dipko, my campanion, is an awesome guy. It has been such an awesome experience to teach him about this crazy country, and we continue learning together! I love you guys so much!! Have a great week!
Love

Elder Dowell

No comments:

Post a Comment