Friday, March 20, 2015

Another week

This week has went by fast but not short of experiences. I miss and love you so much! This week we went to visit a guy who is addicted to smoking. Elder Merlos told him to put his cigarrettes in water over night and drink it in the morning. He was so excited to quit smoking that he brought out 3 of his cigarrettes and ripped them up in front of us. I felt good about this so we set a baptismal date and left. We turned the corner and thought that we should go back and get the cigarettes he tore up as a reminder of the moment. Not 10 minutes had gone by and we saw him sitting outside of his house smoking a cigarette. Wow! 

On the other hand, our main investigator who has been investigating for about 2 years is getting baptized this week! She is awesome. She has a great testimony and she always buys us food. This week we ate at a street vendor that served us pork, tejadas(fried bananas), pig feet and chicken feet so I got to eat that. It was actually pretty good but the fact that I was eating a chicken foot made it gross. 

Also, there are so many good juices, orange juice, mostly, but one member always serves us a juice that tastes like dish soap. everyone acts like its normal but it is one of the worst things I have ever tasted!
I have been trying to motivate myself to exercise so I made a ghetto barbell out of some pipes and cement blocks, I will send a picture when I can, Its pretty awesome. This week I was reunited with my old companion Elder Wight and it was so awesome to see him. I felt so bad because he has been homesick and his companion is super strict and doesn't speak any English. I have been praying for him and I can see how much he has grown just since being here. 

Also there are lots of homeless people here.  There is one guy in particular that ´caught our eye´haha. He came up to us as we were introducing ourselves to someone else, so we told him to hold on. Afterwards we gave him a limp (limpeira) and went on our way. After a while we saw him again and noticed he had a shirt and pants on but for lack of a better missionary term, everyone could see his wang! Whats the point of wearing pants?! So I think I'm gonna buy that guy a pair of shorts because, wow. 

To answer a few questions...
...While there is some violence around us I have not seen much of it.  However my companion has seen a drive-by where 3 people were killed.  It is crazy to hear him tell that story.

...My shoes from Pomeroys, the Air Honduras are the best shoes in the game! When I polish them they look brand new and they don't have any rips or anything. Everyone has slipper like shoes but you better believe they polish them. 3 dollar shoes 100 dollar shine!

...Everyone has tv no matter how small their home, hut or shack, 

...There is MacDonalds in Centro which is dangerous at night, that's where we write and where I am right now.
 
...Everyone is well aware of the danger but they are too lazy to care and from what I can tell, they usually dont go too far from their home for any reason.
 
...Some have refrigerators but not everyone, usually just mini fridges
.
On a more spiritual note, I have been reading in Ecclesiastes and I came across a scripture: Ecclesiastes Chapter 3 says how there is a time for everything and in time God makes everything beautiful. This scripture came at the perfect time for me. As I am homesick and thinking about so many different things, I find comfort in knowing that ´there is a time to mourn and a time for joy´ and that God provides a time for everything. I love and miss you all so much. I love you!
Love

Elder Dowell

No comments:

Post a Comment