Sunday, March 15, 2015

Greetings from Gringito

Hola!

This week started off rough. I was super sick all night on Tuesday night so I had to go to the doctor but luckily it was not a parasite! I was worried, mostly because I knew mom would freak out if she knew I was sick. But I am back to normal and they gave me some pills that I have to take to adjust to the bacteria. 

This week people were pretty mean to us, im not really sure why, maybe it was just the area we were in. We always go up smiling and ready to share a message that will change their life. One lady even started telling us that we shouldn't be getting to know people and we should just leave the neighborhood. I'm sure she said some other choice words so its probably good i couldn't understand her. Unfortunately one of our investigators that had a baptismal date, we just found out she drinks coffee. It is so hard not to lose hope trying to make contact and sometimes in our investigators. This is where Jesus is a perfect example. He never loses hope in others and He never loses hope in us! His love for us expands into the hope he has for us. 

This week while contacting, we saw some kids playing soccer so we went and played with them. Everyone either calls me Gringito or Do-Well. Its funny because I'm so used to making fun of everyone with an accent but here, I dont fit in and everyone makes fun of me for my Gringo accent. After the soccer game a guy talked to us for about an hour. He had a thick accent so I couldn't understand what he was saying. but afterward elder Merlos explained to me that He was saying that he was a prophet and that the church chose him because he stopped some guy from committing suicide. This sounded absolutely crazy to me! 
Last night we went to a pulpuria around 8:30 to get some pop (I havent had any caffeine yet, we{ll see how long it lasts). I was a little scared because there was some ganster from LA with one leg that started talking to me in English. He was dropping MFs left and right, but let me tell you, I have not felt so comfortable since I have been on this mission since my conversation with that guy. It reminded me a lot of Pete actually haha. But honeslty, it was one of the best experiences that I have had. The guy was totally wasted, but he said "I like your straight face. I can tell the Lord lives in you." He offered to buy me a drink and I was scared he was gonna buy me a beer and make me drink it so instead I offered to buy him a coke. So I did and he promised that he would drink it. 

I have come across many uplifting things this week. the first is a scripture in Romans 8:18. It says "For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us". The previous verse says: "If it so be that we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together". I love this because we all suffer, but if we do it with Him in mind then we can be glorified together. I also love when it says that our sufferings are not worthy to be compared to the glory that will be revealed in us. 

The last thing that I want to share is a poem that I found in the doctors office. there was a stack of them and luckily it was in both Spanish and English!

WHAT GOD HATH PROMISED
God hath not promised skies always blue,
Flower-strewn pathways, all our lives through.
God hath not promised sun without rain, 
Joy without sorrow, Peace without pain.

But God hath promised strength for the day, 
Rest for the laborer, Light on the way,
Grace for the trial, help from above.
Unfailing sympathy, Undying love.

I love you and miss you all so much!
Love,
Elder Dowell

1 comment: