Saturday, January 31, 2015

Semana 3 already?

Family and friends,
I will try and answer all of your questions quickly because I don't have that much time to write! 

This week has been very interesting and I have learned a lot about myself and about the gospel. 
the best experience of the week came on Thursday so it has been hard because I've wanted to tell you all about it since then. We do this thing called TRC where we talk to real people, members or not, and we try and help them with their problems. The lady we were grouped with was from mexico who had an 18 year old son that was not a member of the church. She said he has not been baptized and he has a problem with the word of wisdom. While other things were hard this week, this brought so much peace to be able to help her. We showed her a scripture in D&C 89 about the word of wisdom and the blessings her son will receive if he follows the commandments. We told her to relay this message to her son and that he would be blessed for it. We did all this with the little Spanish that we knew! After that, something made me feel like no matter how well I learn Spanish, I will be able to get my point across.

That being said, we have started teaching our lessons with fake investigators without reading off of a paper! We do this by asking lots of questions and then trying to pick out words that they say to identify the problems that they are going through. Slowly but surely we are understanding. 

This is going to sound terrible but the second best part of this week was when our district leader elder Jensen pretty much threw a tantrum in our class. Our teacher is awesome, his name is Hermano Saenz and he wants us to always speak Spanish and elder Jensen didn't like this so he threw his jacket on the ground and said stuff like "you cant make me speak Spanish" and "I'm not gonna do what you say". At first I was just so happy that it was him and not me. Then I felt bad for being so happy about this and I realized that everyone is in the same boat. We all have struggles and trials. Mine is missing home and trying to focus on learning this language. 


Here's a picture from this week.  Elder Wight and I are ready to go, but our district leader is still asleep.  Kind of the way things roll around here.

This week I felt like I should read the story of Job. He went through so many trials and God knew that He could count on Job to always praise Him. I don't want to be like Job and have all these bad things happen to me, but I do want Heavenly Father to be able to rely on me the way He relied on Job. I need to be more obedient and have more faith. This is something that Elder Wight has helped me with too. 

I am getting a little annoyed with everyone but I assume that's normal around this time. Elder Wight served me by making it clear that we can only worry about ourselves and that we need to work harder. I served him this week by answering one of his questions. He asked me if he thinks that God and Jesus get sick of us complaining. I answered him "no" because I know that Jesus´s patience is perfect. As we pray for things and wonder why we are having trials, it helped both of us to recognize His perfect patience.  Try to recognize the patience that He has for all of us, I will do the same!

Much love from Mexico City,

Elder Dowell

No comments:

Post a Comment