Thursday, January 15, 2015

Week 1 - The CCM

Family and Friends,
I have been in Mexico City for a week now and the weather couldn´t be better! I have been battling homesickness this week (a shock, I know) but missionaries that are about to leave give me hope that it gets better. They didn't have to leave a family like mine, though! Mom, Dad, Marsh, Syd, and Savannah I love you more than you will ever know. Grandma and Grandpa thank you for sending your love, it means so much to me, I love you. To all others who have emailed I will respond as soon as possible.  Thank you to the Gardners for the gift box, such a huge lift!



The Mexico MTC is called the CCM (Centro De Capacitacion Misional Mexico). It is a beautiful old high school campus surrounded by the sounds of Mexico City. Police sirens and dogs barking day and night, with air planes blasting advertisements that I can't understand. The food here is not authentic Mexican food, more like Minnesota Mexican. But don't worry because every Tuesday night they bring in Costco pizzas!   We were given water bottles and there are tons of places to fill up, so staying hydrated is not a concern. 

My companion´s name is Elder Noah Wight. He is from Brisbane QOD, Australia. We will be companions the whole time we are here in the CCM.  He worked in the mines mining copper, he is 19 as well. We get along very well, we are similar in many ways (other than mining and homesickness). He has been a great example to me in studying and staying 'keen'. Being from Australia, he always says things that make me double take at such as 'let’s be keen today' or 'let’s take out the rubbish'.  He is struggling more with Spanish than I am, especially with his 'shrimp on the barby' accent, I will try to help him more this week



The language has been stressful, mostly because they really try not to speak English to you, even though they know it. High School Spanish did help a little, but I am nowhere near where I need to be. I know this is where faith comes in because Elder Wight and I have had many experiences where we feel so incredibly overwhelmed and that we cannot do this on our own without the Lord’s help. 

A day in the life at the MTC is waking up at 6:30, studying, breakfast, studying, lunch, studying, gym time, studying, teaching, studying or devotional, sleep and repeat. My favorite part of the CCM is gym time.  The service project was pretty fun we had to scrub some walls around the campus, and the guy whose job it was to instruct us was SO pumped that we did that for him. That was a cool experience.
Dad, you asked me to tell you the first thing an Elder would correct me on.  The answer is…everything. I hadn’t even put on my nametag yet and some guy walked up and said," you gotta do it like this, the other way is wrong". So that’s what goes on here 24/7.



Mom, your kisses have got me through this week, this was definitely harder than the first week at college. I know He has a plan for us and He is in every part of our lives. Play some FIFA and watch The Office for me! 

Love,


Elder Dowell

No comments:

Post a Comment