Thursday, August 25, 2016

Questions of the celestial family tree


This week was a good one! There were many weird things that happened. To start, our best investigator who was progressing so well, she told us that she was going to move and on Saturday she went to live with her mom who lives about 2 hours away. We were distraught! Just as we felt like we were starting to have some success, and it felt as if it was sucked away in just a few days. On top of that, we went to visit different investigators of ours on different occasions to find out that 3 of the families had had someone in their family die this week. We were so surprised to hear that and were able to offer just a little bit of comfort to each of them before they left town for the funerals. We ens



ured that they would see their families again. Through the plan that Heavenly Father has provided us. I cant imagine having someone die within my family and not be absolutely sure about what happens after this life. I am so thankful to know what happens if we choose the right!
 
On a funnier note, we were contacting houses and came across a man sitting in his chair. He told us to answer a question that nobody has been able to answer him. We were fairly confident that we could answer whatever his crazy question may be. He asked, "who is Jesus's grandma?" We laughed a little bit and told him that it wasn't very important to know.. but that we didn't know because it isn't in the scriptures. He argued that it was a very important question. He continued to tell us that Jesus was going to come with a stick to be able to clean the earth. He waved his hand as if to mimic what Jesus would do to clean the earth and it was hilarious. He then told us that Jesus would send us into space and we would start floating.. and he acted like he was floating. We had to smile a little at that one. 

On the same day we contacted a man that we had seen at church. He was a former drug addict and he was with a preacher that was blind. The preacher started talking a bunch of apostasy saying that he knew a man who was very powerful and started over 15 thousand churches. Anyways, the less active member asked us if we would stay for a while because since we had arrived to talk he had felt the spirit very strong. We felt like Jesus when he came to visit America and the people didn't want Him to leave. I took a step back a little bit in my mind and recognized a little bit more the importance of this work.

Yesterday, finishing up the day, I got a call from President Bush, telling me that I was going to be changed out of my area for these upcoming changes on Wednesday. I was a little bummed out because Elder Vasquez and I just started to get along really well. President told me that I will be training a new missionary and I will still be in Copan about 40 minutes from where I am at now in a city called Santa Rosa. He told me that I will need to work alot to make the branch stronger because it is the main part of Copan that needs to grow to make Copan a stake someday. I feel blessed for the trust that President Bush and the lord have given my new companion and I to go work in that area and try and make things happen! He also said, " I think you will be more happy if you have something to do!" I think he is right. I am sad to leave here, but excited for the new challenge. 

How are you feeling this week?  
This week I feel like I have grown more from the experiences that I have. Physically, a lot like Marshall! haha I need to get in shape!

Who have you spent the most time with?
My Companion..  haha but seriously we are with the other 2 missionaries at night and in the morning. Elder Cobar and Elder Cole have grown to be great friends of ours.. as for our investigators, whoever will listen! We try to visit families more than individuals.

Who have you found to teach this week?  
This week we have found a few small families to teach. It is cool to see them as God sees them and with the potential that they have to be an eternal family, even if they aren't at that point yet. 

Are you teaching any children?
Just along with the families. there are tons of cute little Honduran children in the street all day. most of them are filthy. 

What do you like about your companion?  
He is a really funny guy. He also opened up to me this week because I got mad at him. He really understands that it is important to have a good companionship to be successful and he gave me some great tips. He is better at communicating feelings than I am.
 
What did you study today in the scriptures?  Did you find anything new and insightful in your studies?
This week I studied many different things, I never feel like I dedicate a week to a specific subject, maybe I should try that. But I have been reading about the spirit world in the teachings of Brigham Young, and also more about the priesthood. It is amazing to see the little things that the spirit says that aren't on the page. I felt many times that I was prompted to change something, or explain it better. 

Have you felt stress this week?  what about?  how did you handle it?
YES. This week I got super mad at Elder Vasquez. To be honest I didn't handle it well. I basically let it boil inside of me and I was super mad. After a while Elder Vasquez reminded me that its important to say whats wrong so we can find a solution. We had a heart to heart and I expressed to him that I don't want to be a mad person (not that I am haha) but that I needed to learn better to talk and communicate. I am still working on it, but setting little goals to change has helped.

I hope you guys have a great week! I love you!!
Love,

Elder Dowell  

No comments:

Post a Comment