Friday, August 12, 2016

Success in Contacting

Family and friends,

It is great to be emailing you this week about the experiences of the week. It has been hot and humid this week. Many people ask why I sweat so much, but then I ask them how they don't! I think its because they only drink coke all day! haha

This week I have had many things to be thankful for. I am so thankful for the things that I am learning each day. In talking and teaching with my companion Elder Vasquez we have really been focusing on what the spirit tells us to say. I noticed that I was getting angry when he would talk more than me in the lessons and I felt a little bit robbed. Sometimes I still feel that way but I realized that when I get angry about it it loses the whole spirit of the lesson and the spirit cant be there. I have really been working on being more patient and focusing on doing my best to serve and help other people. I thought of President Thomas S Monson and the way that he serves. I think if he were in my situation he would just be happy that the people are learning, and of course he would do his part the best that he could. I have been reading more of the conference talks as I get anxious for the next conference in October. I know that their words are true and they have given me comfort many times throughout the day and week. 

On Friday we had an amazing experience and I am so thankful for your prayers to help us find new people to teach and baptize:
  
We were contacting houses and came across a house that I felt like we should contact so we knocked the door. The girl that was working cleaning the house let us in and we taught her and the other boys that lived there. It was a very good lesson because the girl said that she had been looking for a church to go to. A few days earlier she was sick and told God that she was going to visit a church. She even told us that she had dreamed about going to a specific church, but couldn't remember which one! So we invited them to church and on Sunday, she went! 

 


It just so happened that it was fast and testimony meeting and everyone was baring their testimonies about the normal things, Book of Mormon, true church, Joseph Smith, etc. I was sweating bullets as I watched her get up and walk to the stand to talk. It was her first time ever in a Mormon church, but she began to tell everyone of her story how she was sick and then we showed up. She said it was almost like a sign. She was so happy to be at church and told everyone that she felt like she was going to be coming more often. Later we smiled as she told us that when she walked through the front gates, she remembered that the church she had dreamed was this one. 

I had never up to this point had an experience like that, but I am so thankful that the spirit guided us to knock on her door. out of all the doors in the world, who would've thought?!
We are looking forward to teaching her and other investigators that have been progressing such as a family that has a business selling burgers and meat. They even went to church this week. I will be telling you more about them in the weeks to come, they are a very special family and would be great members!

Love Elder Dowell

No comments:

Post a Comment